Keeping services like email HIPAA compliant can be difficult. HIPAA compliance is a complex issue that must be done right to avoid leaving patient data available to people who shouldn’t have it. San Diego hospitals that need a HIPAA compliant email system may want to consider contacting IT Support San Diego health businesses turn to regularly to make sure the job gets done right.
How HIPAA Compliant Email Systems Need To Work
• Storage – A HIPAA compliant email system requires the data of every email to be stored in a HIPAA compliant data center. A HIPAA compliant data center has tight protection against unauthorized access and no way to access data except through the official email system.
• Security – Data encryption needs to use a system that is at least 128 bit, though 256 bit encryption is recommended. The system must also have auto-logout capabilities and leave little to no data footprint on devices that access the database.
• Data Access – Data access in a HIPAA compliant system needs to be through tight user authentication with extensive information on users. Data has to be stored on the database, never on the individual systems used to access it. Data has to be unreadable to support staff who maintain the system.
• Logging – A HIPAA compliant email system needs to be extensively logged and monitored in case of a breach, with options for complete data and log audits.
• Data Mining – HIPAA compliant systems need to allow for quick and complete data mining so user data can be pulled easily when it is needed. The database that stores HIPAA data should have intelligent search capabilities and a solid infrastructure.
Making Sure A System Is HIPAA Compliant
Any medical establishment in need of a HIPAA compliant email system needs to be careful when hiring the IT group who will handle it. When questioning make sure the IT Services firm has available, local medical professionals that are experienced with HIPAA systems. Ask for information about how data is stored, encrypted and accessed. It is also important to know how much experience the company being questioned has with implementing HIPAA compliant systems.
Contact NetResults to find an IT professional well versed in the needs of HIPAA compliance. The right IT firm should be able to set up a compliant system and keep it safe, secure and accessible.